WOW, we just finished a great school year with BTP. We concluded the year with a graduation event for eleven graduating Seniors from local High Schools including, R. L. Turner, Creekview, Newman Smith, and Texas Can. These young mothers have worked hard, through morning sickness, childbirth, sick babies and family complications, to graduate High School. They are beating the statistics and providing a better life for their babies. As a church, we have seen these young ladies grow in their relationships with us and with other teen moms. As volunteers we are so blessed to be a part of their lives and look forward to providing them a safe community to be a part of as they learn about God’s love for them and their babies.
This spring BTP and Valley View received a Public Partnership Award from the Carrollton Farmers Branch district regarding all we do for these young mothers. The award was given at the March School Board Meeting where 200 people from our community were there to witness what Christ can do through His people and the wonderful volunteers at BTP.
What BTP does is actually very simple, we follow Gods command to love those that He loves and pour ourselves into their lives. Our desire is that every teen parent completes their High School education and beyond. Statistics point to this as one of the most important factors in determining how these young families will either thrive or fail in the future! As you might expect, this is very hard given the tremendous responsibilities that these young parents find now that they have chosen life and have a child to care for. As we get to know them, the Lord gives us opportunities to share our faith and demonstrate His love and grace through our service.
We meet monthly and activities vary from having teenage fun with Spa Night and Baby Shower games to providing for more physical needs such as diapers and baby clothes. Valley View wants to minister not only to teen moms, but to the fathers and a family support structure as well. One Tuesday night a month we will have over 70 teen moms, babies and family members come to the church to eat, relax and connect with others going through a similar path in life. Volunteers have the opportunity to connect with teen moms, teen dads, siblings and family members in a relaxed atmosphere that encourages personal relationships. BTP is truly a place where your investment in other people will bless you as you follow Gods call. By the way, it is a blast!
There are many ways for you to participate;
- Prayer-We are blessed to have many volunteers that pray for this ministry and the girls on a regular basis. This is a great way to serve. Prayer can change lives, your own included! (Colossians 4:3-6)
- Action-We would love to have you come by and participate in one of the Tuesday night events. No prep needed, we have plenty of areas for you to serve. Nursery care, food service, running games, playing basketball with the guys, and more. We can definitely find somewhere you can enjoy serving and get to know these families. We promise you will be both a blessing and be blessed by your time. Putting a face with a need will truly change your life. (1 Peter 4:10)
- Give-We supply these young families with diapers, clothes, and baby items each month. Your donation of gently used baby items such as large toys, strollers, high chairs, and car seats is much appreciated. If you want to donate diapers, wipes or baby clothes, you can take them to the office anytime. The Lord calls us to be concerned about their spiritual as well as their physical needs and your generosity will be a blessing (James 2:15-17)
There are no simple answers to some of the challenges these young families face. Walking alongside and helping them know that Jesus loves them and will always be with them can make a difference! You will be changed as well as you see God working in these families and their precious babies. Join us and let them know that Grace conquers all!
God has used BTP to impact the broader community for Christ as we work closely with a variety of other groups and people. A few examples include;
- Working with the local school district and High School Crisis Counselors
- Partnership with Local YoungLives Organization
- Local public resource representatives attend each event
We are looking forward to having BTP join the Valley View family for the Summer Pool Party and for a great next school year full of love and connection.